GNU screen GUI frontend?
Adam Monsen
2004-08-08 17:25:39 UTC
Anyone know of a GUI frontend to GNU screen?
Bob Hauck
2004-08-08 21:45:28 UTC
Post by Adam Monsen
Anyone know of a GUI frontend to GNU screen?
xterm?
--
-| Bob Hauck
-| To Whom You Are Speaking
-| http://www.haucks.org/
Alan Connor
2004-08-08 22:09:39 UTC
Post by Adam Monsen
Anyone know of a GUI frontend to GNU screen?
Sure. Aisle 4. Next to the swimming suits for fish.

AC
Tony Lawrence
2004-08-08 23:34:06 UTC
Post by Alan Connor
Post by Adam Monsen
Anyone know of a GUI frontend to GNU screen?
Sure. Aisle 4. Next to the swimming suits for fish.
I dunno. Is it really that silly? Screen can be a pretty complicated
program - not that most people use all its features, but there are a
lot of possibilities, and a gui front-end really doesn't sound
superfluous to me.

On the other hand, because screen does do so many things, maybe the OP
should be saying just what it is he's doing that he things needs
guifying. Possibly some other tool or app does what he wants in a GUI
way.

--
Tony Lawrence
Free Linux Skills Tests
http://aplawrence.com/Tests/Linux
Alan Connor
2004-08-09 00:17:06 UTC
Post by Tony Lawrence
Post by Alan Connor
Post by Adam Monsen
Anyone know of a GUI frontend to GNU screen?
Sure. Aisle 4. Next to the swimming suits for fish.
I dunno. Is it really that silly?
Yes.
Post by Tony Lawrence
Screen can be a pretty complicated
program
You can learn to use it effectively in about 5 minutes.
Post by Tony Lawrence
- not that most people use all its features, but there are a
lot of possibilities,
It's really more of a matter of the docs, of which there aren't many,
and which tend to be difficult to get a handle on. The info page is far
superior to the man page.

Even the advanced features, like splitting screens and file transfers
and detaching sessions to be re-attached remotely and multi-user sessions
aren't really hard to use. Usually only a few keystrokes are required.
Post by Tony Lawrence
and a gui front-end really doesn't sound
superfluous to me.
In a lot of ways, screen is a TUI (Textmode User Interface). You use
it *instead* of a GUI. I'm using it here and prefer it to any GUI in
existence. Only bring up X when needed and run the X apps from an
xterm.

You use keybindings (even for cut&paste) and a mouse would just
screw things up royally.
Post by Tony Lawrence
On the other hand, because screen does do so many things, maybe the OP
should be saying just what it is he's doing that he things needs
guifying. Possibly some other tool or app does what he wants in a GUI
way.
Now that's a good idea.

I wonder if this link's still good?

http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2004/3/9/16838/14935

(the C-a " keybinding mentioned there is no longer used as described
and you should use C-a w to list the windows that are open. Even better
is to have them listed all the time at the bottom of the screen by putting:
hardstatus alwayslastline "%w"
in one's screenrc.)

I have a short tutorial with a few good tips in it for anyone who is
interested. It's not much. I just wrapped it in basic html and put it
up on my website:

http://tinyurl.com/4jc7u

AC
John Hasler
2004-08-09 00:10:01 UTC
Screen can be a pretty complicated program - not that most people use all
its features, but there are a lot of possibilities, and a gui front-end
really doesn't sound superfluous to me.
Sounds utterly nonsensical to me. What is graphical about it?
--
John Hasler
***@dhh.gt.org (John Hasler)
Elmwood, WI
Tony Lawrence
2004-08-09 16:11:14 UTC
Post by John Hasler
really doesn't sound superfluous to me.
Sounds utterly nonsensical to me. What is graphical about it?
Nothing. What's graphical about PuTTY? Yet it has a GUI front end,
while PSCP does not.

Tony Lawrence
Bob Hauck
2004-08-09 23:30:47 UTC
What's graphical about PuTTY? Yet it has a GUI front end, while PSCP
does not.
KDE's "konsole" terminal emulator has tabbed sessions. Perhaps that is
what you're really asking for.
--
-| Bob Hauck
-| To Whom You Are Speaking
-| http://www.haucks.org/
John Thompson
2004-08-10 02:07:13 UTC
Post by Bob Hauck
KDE's "konsole" terminal emulator has tabbed sessions. Perhaps that is
what you're really asking for.
Or "multi-gnome-terminal" if you use gnome:

http://multignometerm.sourceforge.net
-John (***@os2.dhs.org)
Tony Lawrence
2004-08-10 11:48:48 UTC
Post by Bob Hauck
what you're really asking for.
:-)

I'm not asking for anything. Command line is my choice.

But I did suggest that the OP might want to say just what it really is
he's having trouble with as he may, in fact, be using the wrong tool
entirely. So your suggestion might very well be what he needs. Or it
might be VNC, who knows?

Adam Monsen
2004-08-11 20:58:54 UTC
Post by Tony Lawrence
I'm not asking for anything. Command line is my choice.
But I did suggest that the OP might want to say just what it really is
he's having trouble with as he may, in fact, be using the wrong tool
entirely. So your suggestion might very well be what he needs. Or it
might be VNC, who knows?
Hi, thought I'd clarify a bit.

GNU screen is the right tool that does exactly what I want. Kicks
butt, in fact!

Here's an example of the functionality I'm talking about:

Here's why I'd like it:
Konsole and gnome-terminal (and others) are excellent feature-rich
terminal GUIs, however they are severely limited in ways that GNU
screen is not: they can die with X, they can't detach, they can't be
shared. On the other hand, GUIs can be nice: you can use a mouse,
click on pretty graphics, and you can do things that are difficult or
impossible with a solely text-based console. So, what if you could use
screen all the time, but when you ran Konsole/gnome-terminal and
attached to a GNU screen session in the GUI, Kosole/gnome-terminal
would recognize this and create tabs, one for each GNU screen window.
That way, you get the benefits of GNU screen (outlasts X crashes, can
be detached, can be shared, etc) as well as the benefits of a fancy
GUI (clickable pretty graphic interface). Also, the ptty/detach/share
functionality of GNU screen never has to be rewritten for
Konsole/gnome-terminal/etc.

Thoughts?

--
Adam Monsen <adamm [at] wazamatta [dot] com>
http://adammonsen.com/
Alan Connor
2004-08-11 21:52:57 UTC
http://www.eterm.org/pics/ss/shot_cyborg_escreen.jpg
Konsole and gnome-terminal (and others) are excellent feature-rich
terminal GUIs, however they are severely limited in ways that GNU
screen is not: they can die with X, they can't detach, they can't be
shared. On the other hand, GUIs can be nice: you can use a mouse,
click on pretty graphics, and you can do things that are difficult or
impossible with a solely text-based console.
Like what? (that actually makes a positive difference in functionality)
Post by Adam Monsen
So, what if you could use
screen all the time, but when you ran Konsole/gnome-terminal and
attached to a GNU screen session in the GUI, Kosole/gnome-terminal
would recognize this and create tabs, one for each GNU screen window.
Screen already has that functionality. I described it in an earlier
post on this thread.

Why do you want to 'improve' a program you don't even know?
Post by Adam Monsen
That way, you get the benefits of GNU screen (outlasts X crashes, can
be detached, can be shared, etc) as well as the benefits of a fancy
GUI (clickable pretty graphic interface). Also, the ptty/detach/share
functionality of GNU screen never has to be rewritten for
Konsole/gnome-terminal/etc.
Thoughts?
Sure. Why are you afraid to press a couple of keys and feel somehow that
the commands work better if you use a mouse and there's a pretty icon to
click on? (They don't. In fact, it's a clumsy way to work.)

It would be nice if screen had graphical capability (could display graphics)
but that doesn't mean that the windows need to be cluttered with useless
eye-candy or that a mouse would be necessary.

Mice aren't necessary for anything except very sophisticated graphical
programs (creating and editing) and I have no problem at all running
a seperate tty for such work. Ordinary image editing can be done just fine
without a mouse.

AC
Adam Monsen
2004-08-12 17:39:57 UTC
Hi Alan,

I appreciate your comments! Your passion about indispensable programs
like GNU screen is apparent. I share this passion. I love using tools
that just work. I had been searching for something like 'screen' for
quite a while, tired of trying to cut and paste between multiple
virtual terminals and losing state when becoming disconnected from a
remote host. And there it was: GNU screen. How refreshing to know that
someone (actually: Oliver Laumann, Wayne Davison, Juergen Weigert,
Michael Schroeder, others) had already experienced my woe, and did
something about it!

I've read your Screentut and I learned from it. Regarding your bash
t() function, consider using bash's 'select' feature, it's meant to
make selectable menus (documented in 'help select', 'man bash', or
here: http://snurl.com/bashSelect).

You've probably already seen this, but--I'm making a big assumption
about your preferences here--being a non-GUI purist, you might enjoy
the Ratpoison window manager (http://ratpoison.sf.net/).

Alan Connor <***@xxx.yyy> wrote in message news:<ZywSc.18473$***@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net>...
[...]
Post by Alan Connor
Post by Adam Monsen
On the other hand, GUIs can be nice: you can use a mouse,
click on pretty graphics, and you can do things that are difficult or
impossible with a solely text-based console.
Like what? (that actually makes a positive difference in functionality)
You answered your own question later in your post: sophisticated
graphics programs, for instance.

Also, I prefer casual Web surfing in a graphical browser like Firefox.
Surfing the Web is certainly possible in a text-based console (even
graphics are possible with w3m) but I prefer Firefox. However, I will
definitely use lynx/links/w3m in a GNU screen session when ssh'ing
home to change something in a Web UI that's only reachable from within
my home LAN. I could do this with an ssh tunnel, but I prefer the
text-based console.
Post by Alan Connor
Post by Adam Monsen
So, what if you could use
screen all the time, but when you ran Konsole/gnome-terminal and
attached to a GNU screen session in the GUI, Kosole/gnome-terminal
would recognize this and create tabs, one for each GNU screen window.
Screen already has that functionality. I described it in an earlier
post on this thread.
I'd like to know more about this. Please expand! I'm not aware of
Eterm escreen-like functionality in GNU screen, as illustrated in this
screen capture:
Post by Alan Connor
Why do you want to 'improve' a program you don't even know?
I use GNU screen on a daily basis, so I know it, at least in some
capacity.

I actually wrote a tutorial a while ago, feel free to check it out:

http://adammonsen.com/tut/screen.txt

Also, here's my ~/.screenrc:
http://adammonsen.com/tut/my_dotscreenrc.txt

If you're referring to knowing the source code or the interface that
Eterm escreen works with, I could learn it easily enough because I can
just look at the source.
Post by Alan Connor
Post by Adam Monsen
That way, you get the benefits of GNU screen (outlasts X crashes, can
be detached, can be shared, etc) as well as the benefits of a fancy
GUI (clickable pretty graphic interface). Also, the ptty/detach/share
functionality of GNU screen never has to be rewritten for
Konsole/gnome-terminal/etc.
Thoughts?
Sure. Why are you afraid to press a couple of keys and feel somehow that
the commands work better if you use a mouse and there's a pretty icon to
click on? (They don't. In fact, it's a clumsy way to work.)
But you don't know anything about my work habits! However, I will
admit to being clumsy sometimes. :)

[...]
Post by Alan Connor
Mice aren't necessary for anything except very sophisticated graphical
programs (creating and editing) and I have no problem at all running
a seperate tty for such work.
Sounds good, for you. However, different people use computers in
different ways. If you had no fingers, would you find more value in
pointing devices? How would you draw a freehand sketch of the Seattle
skyline?
Post by Alan Connor
Ordinary image editing can be done just fine without a mouse.
I assume you mean automated ImageMagick-esque modifications like
resizing, cropping, and labeling. I agree!

Kindest regards,
-Adam

PS- On a side note, anyone ever run across something that offers
attach/detach functionality for an X Windows session?

--
Adam Monsen <***@wazamatta.com>
http://adammonsen.com/
Alan Connor
2004-08-13 01:52:36 UTC
Post by Adam Monsen
Hi Alan,
I appreciate your comments! Your passion about indispensable programs
like GNU screen is apparent. I share this passion. I love using tools
that just work. I had been searching for something like 'screen' for
quite a while, tired of trying to cut and paste between multiple
virtual terminals and losing state when becoming disconnected from a
remote host. And there it was: GNU screen. How refreshing to know that
someone (actually: Oliver Laumann, Wayne Davison, Juergen Weigert,
Michael Schroeder, others) had already experienced my woe, and did
something about it!
"..that just work". Indeed.
Post by Adam Monsen
I've read your Screentut and I learned from it.
Good to hear. Thanks, Adam.
Post by Adam Monsen
Regarding your bash
t() function, consider using bash's 'select' feature, it's meant to
make selectable menus (documented in 'help select', 'man bash', or
here: http://snurl.com/bashSelect).
I used case for portability, but select works great for bash all right.
Post by Adam Monsen
You've probably already seen this, but--I'm making a big assumption
about your preferences here--being a non-GUI purist, you might enjoy
the Ratpoison window manager (http://ratpoison.sf.net/).
I am using flwm at the moment, with no desktop (didn't compile it in)
It is less than 1/2 the size of ratpoison, but thanks. I haven't even
brought up X in a week. All I need is one or two xterms (aterm here)
and the windows for X apps. Could almost do it with no window manager.
Post by Adam Monsen
[...]
Post by Alan Connor
Post by Adam Monsen
On the other hand, GUIs can be nice: you can use a mouse,
click on pretty graphics, and you can do things that are difficult or
impossible with a solely text-based console.
Like what? (that actually makes a positive difference in functionality)
You answered your own question later in your post: sophisticated
graphics programs, for instance.
Also, I prefer casual Web surfing in a graphical browser like Firefox.
Surfing the Web is certainly possible in a text-based console (even
graphics are possible with w3m) but I prefer Firefox. However, I will
definitely use lynx/links/w3m in a GNU screen session when ssh'ing
home to change something in a Web UI that's only reachable from within
my home LAN. I could do this with an ssh tunnel, but I prefer the
text-based console.
I do most of my surfing in textmode (w3m). It's very fast and most of
the graphics on the web are garbage.

If I need to see the graphics, I bring up X and dillo or mozilla.

(a wrapper script copies w3m bookmarks to mozilla and dillo whenever I exit
w3m)

Often, I'll use wget and read the pages off-line. There's seldom a big
hurry and off-line reading is much more secure.
Post by Adam Monsen
Post by Alan Connor
Post by Adam Monsen
So, what if you could use
screen all the time, but when you ran Konsole/gnome-terminal and
attached to a GNU screen session in the GUI, Kosole/gnome-terminal
would recognize this and create tabs, one for each GNU screen window.
Screen already has that functionality. I described it in an earlier
post on this thread.
I'd like to know more about this. Please expand! I'm not aware of
Eterm escreen-like functionality in GNU screen, as illustrated in this
I am referring to the hardstatus line where the numbers and titles of
the windows can be listed at the bottom permanently. mean? Isn't that the
same basic functionality you are talking about?
Post by Adam Monsen
http://www.eterm.org/pics/ss/shot_cyborg_escreen.jpg
Why use an image for what is not a graphical screenshot?
Post by Adam Monsen
Post by Alan Connor
Why do you want to 'improve' a program you don't even know?
I use GNU screen on a daily basis, so I know it, at least in some
capacity.
http://adammonsen.com/tut/screen.txt
Great. I will certainly do that.
Post by Adam Monsen
http://adammonsen.com/tut/my_dotscreenrc.txt
Always happy to see a new screenrc. Never know what jewels one can
find there.

Mine is pretty basic.
Post by Adam Monsen
If you're referring to knowing the source code or the interface that
Eterm escreen works with, I could learn it easily enough because I can
just look at the source.
You lost me there.
Post by Adam Monsen
Post by Alan Connor
Ordinary image editing can be done just fine without a mouse.
I assume you mean automated ImageMagick-esque modifications like
resizing, cropping, and labeling. I agree!
Kindest regards,
-Adam
PS- On a side note, anyone ever run across something that offers
attach/detach functionality for an X Windows session?
--
http://adammonsen.com/
A pleasure,

AC
Adam Monsen
2004-08-13 08:23:43 UTC
Good stuff. Every time we communicate I learn more!

Alan Connor <***@xxx.yyy> wrote in message news:<E9VSc.19257$***@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>...
[...]
Post by Alan Connor
I am using flwm at the moment, with no desktop (didn't compile it in)
It is less than 1/2 the size of ratpoison, but thanks. I haven't even
brought up X in a week. All I need is one or two xterms (aterm here)
and the windows for X apps. Could almost do it with no window manager.
flwm looks very cool. Thanks! The world needs more "GUIs are
oversold!" people like you... if you gave a lecture/demonstration just
showing your workspace and how you use it, I'd consider it a gift to
see. I remember seeing someone use Vi for the first time (it was only
five years ago). It looked like magic! And it was.

[...]
Post by Alan Connor
Often, I'll use wget and read the pages off-line. There's seldom a big
hurry and off-line reading is much more secure.
I wholeheartedly agree! Being online can be quite a distraction, too.
I'll start doing this. Seems like it would feel more like taking a
book off the shelf and reading it outside under a tree, sucking in
knowledge and focusing on one topic. I so often jump from task to task
when using GUIs.

Ok, after this point I start ranting and raving a bit about GUIs,
giving a lot of justification for GUIs that probably isn't necessary
seeing as we're not arguing GUI vs. non-GUI (as far as I can tell).
But I included my digression because I learned and I want to stand on
my soapbox and shout, because I can, because I'm justifying my own use
of GUIs, and because I want to look back someday and say, "I was like
that? WTF? Why didn't I go outside instead of writing that stupid
USENET post?". Because it's 1am, that's why, and I'd rather stay on
the computer for another 15 minutes than get enough sleep. Yikes.
Post by Alan Connor
Post by Adam Monsen
Post by Alan Connor
Post by Adam Monsen
So, what if you could use
screen all the time, but when you ran Konsole/gnome-terminal and
attached to a GNU screen session in the GUI, Kosole/gnome-terminal
would recognize this and create tabs, one for each GNU screen window.
Screen already has that functionality. I described it in an earlier
post on this thread.
I'd like to know more about this. Please expand! I'm not aware of
Eterm escreen-like functionality in GNU screen, as illustrated in this
I am referring to the hardstatus line where the numbers and titles of
the windows can be listed at the bottom permanently. mean? Isn't that the
same basic functionality you are talking about?
Nope, you can't click on anything with a mouse in a vanilla GNU screen
session. You have to use a different cut and paste method than other
programs. I'd want to be able to click on the name of the GNU screen
window to be able to select it. Also, a GUI could add stuff like
dropdown menus (File, Edit, View, Tools, Help, etc.) that let you
easily see what commands are available, and have icons that make it
easy to visually remember what does what CTRL-A ? works, as does 'info
screen', but so do dropdown graphical menus. And they're EASIER.
Scissors on the Edit->Cut command, for instance, are a pretty obvious
visual cue as to what the command will do. GUIs also help beginners
learn a new application for some of the same reasons the visual cues
can help an advanced user. A clickable pretty graphic interface
definitely has its place.

I wrote my (admittedly unimpressive) Web site by hand, but I like
firing up Quanta Plus on it, for instance, to learn more about HTML
and CSS. Quanta Plus can tell me what attributes are allowed in what
elements, and I don't even need to read through some reference, I just
start typing and it does some kind of cool intellisense (or something)
to give me keyword completion on what possible values I can use (vim
has basic keyword completion, but it's no 'intellisense').
Intellisense is basically on-the-fly keyword completion, like an
interactive search in vim, bash, or emacs. Learning by doing just got
easy in a new way for me. I'm not suggesting this is a replacement for
the reference, but it's cool!

If you stopped using GNU screen for 10 years, would you still remember
every CTRL-A (or CTRL-SPACE, in your case) commmand? Maybe it would be
helpful to have a dropdown menu that visually lays out the program's
functionality, in a way that's similar to other programs you (don't)
use (ie: consistent menus, look/feel, and icons). Maybe CTRL-A ? is
enough, but hey, I think GUIs can be handy.

What I'm describing is something like what GVim adds to Vim. The GVim
GUI is not strictly necessary, but it *does* add stuff the text-based
UI does not have: clickable menus, helpful icons. Cut and paste in a
way that works with Firefox, and other X Windows-based applications.
Yeah, I know you can cut and paste between GNU screen windows, but I
doubt it's faster than using a mouse... well, ok, maybe you're quick.

Let me just add the the GUI is *not better or worse* than the
text-based interface. To me, both are necessary and compliment
eachother; they have different strengths and weaknesses. I will *not*
argue GUI vs. non-GUI because I think the argument is a waste of time:
both are useful in their own way!

This is kind of interesting:
"The idea of direct manipulation of objects on a screen is integral to
the concept of a graphic interface. In fact, the idea of a GUI derives
from cognitive psychology, the study of how the brain deals with
communication. The idea is that the brain works much more efficiently
with graphical icons and displays rather than with words -- words add
an extra layer of interpretation to the communication process. Imagine
if all the road signs you saw were uniform white rectangles, with only
the words themselves to differentiate the different commands,
warnings, and informational displays. When the "Stop" signs hardly
look different from the "Resume Highway Speed" signs, the processing
of the signs' messages becomes a slower and more difficult process,
and you'd have even more wrecks than you have now."

It's from here ==> http://www.sitepoint.com/print/511

But I'd bet that some people are better with plain text than others,
not needing the colors and shapes (and possibly hindered by them).
Those people would be the ones yelling, "Why didn't you just read the
sign!!!"

If it's a big red octagon that says STOP, ALTO, PARE, etc., it's a
little harder to miss. I'd wager with regard to traffic signs, we're
looking for the lowest common denominator here... what everyone can
process effectively. More what the brain naturally tunes in to. Or
does it?
Post by Alan Connor
Post by Adam Monsen
http://www.eterm.org/pics/ss/shot_cyborg_escreen.jpg
Why use an image for what is not a graphical screenshot?
It *is* a graphical! Notice the names 'bash', 'talon', 'durin',
'admin', etc. in the bottom left corner of the graphic. Those (I'm
assuming) are names of GNU screen "windows". The yellow one, 'talon',
looks like the current window, and the blue one, 'admin', is probably
the previous session.
Post by Alan Connor
Post by Adam Monsen
If you're referring to knowing the source code or the interface that
Eterm escreen works with, I could learn it easily enough because I can
just look at the source.
You lost me there.
You said "Why do you want to 'improve' a program you don't even know?"
and I said (well, just look at what I said). Even though I don't
currently know the innerworkings of screen, I can learn it because
it's free software.

[...]

--
Adam Monsen <***@wazamatta.com>
http://adammonsen.com/
Alan Connor
2004-08-13 17:17:07 UTC
Adam Monsen
2004-08-15 08:18:16 UTC
Hi Alan,

Alan Connor <***@xxx.yyy> wrote in message news:<nI6Tc.19944$***@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>...
[...]
Post by Alan Connor
If you could *guide* the inclusion of graphical capabilities for
screen, I'd be happy to work on it.
GNU screen can already do graphics: w3m is one example. Runs fine
within a GNU screen session. Mplayer w/fbdev is another example.

I would enjoy working with you on something, though, seeing as I learn
just by exchanging USENET postings.
Post by Alan Connor
Just need graphical ptys instead of text ones, basically (?).
I'm not advocating more graphics capabilities in GNU screen, rather a
GUI that is GNU-screen aware. More info in my previous posts
(including a screenshot that you refuse to look at).

GNU screen may not require any changes at all; the GUI would just need
access to information about the current GNU screen session information
like:
* names of GNU screen windows
* which windows are being monitored for activity/silence
* what is the active/last visited GNU screen window
* cut/paste buffers
* etc.

It could then display this information in the form of graphical tabs
with color-coding. This is so much easier to explain with a picture,
if only there were a screenshot explaining what I mean.
Post by Alan Connor
A stripped down Xserver, perhaps?
You've already got one of those.

Regarding your other responses: Alan, you're a stubborn, arrogant
bastard. And I respect you for it. I value your banter but I'm
frustrated by your demeanor. I consider you a friend. :)

I don't have a TV, by the way. My internet addiction leaves no time
for that.

Best,
-Adam

--