Looking to Supe Up my PS3

BIOHAZARD-R-US

So I'm looking to enhance my PS3's performance. I got it January 2012 and it's out of all warranties. I have a ton of games for it, some I got pretty close to when I purchased the system, that I haven't even touched. I would like to upgrade the HDD and network card, but if possible I would like to also upgrade the graphics card and the CPU. I didn't know if there was a limitation to each component of how big or how powerful I can go. I do have a PS3 Slim model with a 320GB HDD.

I've heard that it's possible to use a bigger hard drive but that's all I know.

So I'm looking to enhance my PS3's performance. I got it January 2012 and it's out of all warranties. I have a ton of games for it, some I got pretty close to when I purchased the system, that I haven't even touched. I would like to upgrade the HDD and network card, but if possible I would like to also upgrade the graphics card and the CPU. I didn't know if there was a limitation to each component of how big or how powerful I can go. I do have a PS3 Slim model with a 320GB HDD.

I can't tell if this is a joke or not. Sticking in a SSD will make it a little quieter and blowing out the dust in the fans will also help. The most you can do to upgrade the network card is run an ethernet cable to the PS3.

Your limitation is a new PS3, since you're not upgrading anything else.

You can upgrade the HDD to an SSD.  It is quieter and cooler.  They are getting less expensive all the time.  I put a 120GB into my old fatty and it is slick. Dead easy to do, don't even need to open the main portion of the console.

Oh, and old PS3s (fatty) perform better than the new ones (slim) imo. 

Edited by audiopile

You CAN upgrade the HDD on a ps3. My friend just upgraded his ps3 to a 1TB hard drive and now it runs like melted butter. You have to actually disassemble your ps3 to replace the HDD, and you need an 8GB+ memory stick to install the OS on the new hard drive, but it is definitely possible. And it will help your ps3 perform alot better.

Network card, graphics card, and CPU on the other hand, I would not screw with. I would upgrade my HDD, hook it up to a wired connection, and if nothing improves, I would suggest buying a new system.

You CAN upgrade the HDD on a ps3. My friend just upgraded his ps3 to a 1TB hard drive and now it runs like melted butter. You have to actually disassemble your ps3 to replace the HDD, and you need an 8GB+ memory stick to install the OS on the new hard drive, but it is definitely possible. And it will help your ps3 perform alot better.

Network card, graphics card, and CPU on the other hand, I would not screw with. I would upgrade my HDD, hook it up to a wired connection, and if nothing improves, I would suggest buying a new system.

You do not have to disassemble the PS3. It's one screw on the door for the hard drive and then the hard drive comes out. It's intentionally easy to do from the very first PS3's to the super-slim.

Would not screw with? You mean can't screw with, right? They're not changeable in any meaningful way. While you *can* de-soldier the CPU, it's not like there is another cell CPU you can just soldier back on.

You don't need to disassemble a ps3 to change the hard drive. It's sliding off a panel and removing a screw. Thats it. There's no performance increase either unless its a SSD even then it's hardly something to write home about.

To the OP, to upgrade an old PS3 get a brand new PS3 or better yet a PS4. You can't upgrade a console by upgrading parts. Thats the whole point of a console

• Like 2

The most I would recommend doing to a PS3 is upgrading its hard drive for the sake of more storage space. Sticking a SSD in it would be a waste in my opinion since it's only going to shave a few seconds off of the system booting up and starting games. Nothing else is upgradeable. If you want something more powerful, get a PS4. If you want something more upgradeable, invest in a gaming PC.

An SSD drive will cost about twice as much as a regular 5400rpm drive of the same capacity.  I wouldn't recommend a 7200rpm due to overheating issues, from personal experience. You only need a usb stick if you want to transfer your save data and don't have PS+.

You can put in a fan with more cfm but the same is achieved by upgrading to an SSD (runs cooler). 

Go to a PS4 if you have the cash.

Edited by audiopile

You do not have to disassemble the PS3. It's one screw on the door for the hard drive and then the hard drive comes out. It's intentionally easy to do from the very first PS3's to the super-slim.

Would not screw with? You mean can't screw with, right? They're not changeable in any meaningful way. While you *can* de-soldier the CPU, it's not like there is another cell CPU you can just soldier back on.

No, I mean WOULD NOT. Whether you can or not, I wouldnt attempt it. That's what would not screw with it means.

And you guys are taking the word disassemble way too literally.

All I meant was that it's not like an XBOX 360 where it just unclips from the top, you actually have to access the interior of the console. Sorry about my choice of words, try not being so aggressive next time though

Edited by danceswithsloths

All I meant was that it's not like an XBOX 360 where it just unclips from the top, you actually have to access the interior of the console. Sorry about my choice of words, try not being so aggressive next time though

But you are incorrect, it is like the XBOX.  There is a separate access for the HDD.

jjjjjjjjjjj.jpg

Edited by audiopile

Ok well I was unaware then. My friend said he had to unscrew stuff, and you never had to unscrew anything to change the xbox hdd.

Guess he must have been lying.

Didn't mean to come across as aggressive, but wanted to make sure your message didn't spread misinformation and clearly explained it wasn't accurate to someone who hasn't looked into the issue themselves. Since you were going by 2nd hand incorrect information, it is best to make it clear it was incorrect asap. Don't want them spreading the same incorrect information because they read it on here.

An SSD drive will cost about twice as much as a regular 5400rpm drive of the same capacity.  I wouldn't recommend a 7200rpm due to overheating issues, from personal experience. You only need a usb stick if you want to transfer your save data and don't have PS+.

You can put in a fan with more cfm but the same is achieved by upgrading to an SSD (runs cooler). 

Go to a PS4 if you have the cash.

It won't overheat. It does naturally generate more heat but it won't actually cause it to overheat. I've used a 7200 RPM drive in my PS3 for months with the only effect being decreased loading times.

Edited by BooneIronshield
  • Like 1

I already have a PS4. Which SSD should I get? I want the biggest capacity the PS3 can handle. Sucks that I can't upgrade the other stuff. 

As for PC gaming, it would be nice to have my own custom rig, I just can't stand using a keyboard and mouse, and the Xbox controller is too bulky and awkward with the analog sticks.