Sea World Syngnathids

novahobbies

Here's some pics of the sea dragons from sea world. The whole album is here: Sea World

This last one is of course a Weedy Sea Dragon, not a Leafy Sea Dragon. Still, what they lack in frills they make up for in color. These guys had an amazing iridescence that I just couldn't manage to capture well on camera. Take a look at the whole album if you're interested!

S

smartorl

We live close and go all the time, aren't they amazing to watch. You hear so many blow past them because they don't see them and think the tank is empty! Did you see the octopus and nems opposite them?

flower

You own a leafy Sea Dragon for $2.900.00..Check out a place called Reef wonders

novahobbies

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartorl http:///forum/thread/379940/sea-world-syngnathids#post_3304549
We live close and go all the time, aren't they amazing to watch. You hear so many blow past them because they don't see them and think the tank is empty! Did you see the octopus and nems opposite them?
Yeah, sure did. But the octo in there was looking pretty grim to be honest. At a typical 3 to 5 year life span, I wouldn't be surprised if this one was nearing senescence. He was very off color, no movement, drooping tentacles that were only being pushed around by the current. The coldwater anemones were really cool to see though!

S

smartorl

That same octo has been in there at least since I have been back from MA which is almost a year and a half. He/she was actually pretty active the last time we were there.

I do miss when I was a kid and they had the large aquarium with all the fishes but the reef with all the corals is pretty amazing to look at.

For some reason, they have pulled all of the pipes out of the seahorse exhibit, not sure why. I love watching all the activity with those seahorses with the rays zooming around as a backdrop.

novahobbies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///forum/thread/379940/sea-world-syngnathids#post_3304557

You own a leafy Sea Dragon for $2.900.00..Check out a place called Reef wonders
Yeah I've seen that! Don't think I haven't thought about it. That's about all my pocketbook will allow me to do, though.
Michelle asked me about it, and I got to thinking that the 110 gallon tank dimentions would probably be good for a pair if I stood the tank on end - 4 feet high, 30 inches wide, 18 inches front to back.....

novahobbies

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartorl http:///forum/thread/379940/sea-world-syngnathids#post_3304573
That same octo has been in there at least since I have been back from MA which is almost a year and a half. He/she was actually pretty active the last time we were there.

I do miss when I was a kid and they had the large aquarium with all the fishes but the reef with all the corals is pretty amazing to look at.

For some reason, they have pulled all of the pipes out of the seahorse exhibit, not sure why. I love watching all the activity with those seahorses with the rays zooming around as a backdrop.
Yeah, you know I was bummed cause I couldn't get a single good shot of the horses. Those buggers were really gettin' it on in the tank that day too. One little girl pointed to two horses mid egg-transfer and asked what they were doing. The mom mumbled something about a mating dance, and I didn't feel like diving in to correct her. If you look at this pic you can see the male's pouch is still pretty flushed after the transfer.

Most of those horses were indeed H. erectus as advertised, but there was one huge horse in there that just didn't look like he was the same species. Even with his tail curled he had to be 10+ inches long....just a big boy of a seahorse.