Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Autometer speedometer, One input terminal?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2004, 07:46 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Autometer speedometer, One input terminal?

I understand by reading other post's that when hooking up an electronic Autometer speedometer that i need to "splice" into the wire comming off the tranny speed sensor but the sensor has two wires coming off of it and I only have one input on the speedometer, do i just splice into one wire? and if so, does it mater witch one? and what is the output terminal used for?

Thanks
Old 02-19-2004, 10:52 PM
TECH Regular

You use the VSS signal into the PCM. You dont use the output at all on the speedometer.
Old 02-19-2004, 11:28 PM
Staging Lane

do you just pick one of the two wires on the vss and splice it and run a wire to the one input on the speedometer?
Old 02-20-2004, 03:18 PM
TECH Regular

no find a pinout sheet of the PCM, you splice into the VSS input going to the PCM
Old 02-24-2004, 11:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Flyman
do you just pick one of the two wires on the vss and splice it and run a wire to the one input on the speedometer?
One is signal and the other is signal ground. Must use signal. I believe it was the purple wire. But, you better look it up because my memory is short.
Old 02-24-2004, 12:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On my '01 LS1, the PCM already had a VSS 4K pulse/mile output. It was on either C220 or C230 I believe. If the LS1 you're using has this, just bring it to the Autometer speedo and you're done.
Old 02-25-2004, 08:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by crainholio
On my '01 LS1, the PCM already had a VSS 4K pulse/mile output. It was on either C220 or C230 I believe. If the LS1 you're using has this, just bring it to the Autometer speedo and you're done.
This will absolutely not work with an Autometer Speedo. That 4k pulse per mile is a square wave and the Autometer will only work with the sine wave signal directly from the VSS. Also, do not cut the VSS signal wire and then wire the "Sig Out" from the Autometer to the PCM. This will screw up the PCM and cause a VSS error code. YOU MUST splice into the VSS and bring a wire to the Autometer and don't interput the PCM signal. I know because I wired it this way first and the Speedo did work but the vehicle speed was always zero mph causing other issues, mainly coming to a stop and nearly stalling.
Old 02-26-2004, 06:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the correction, my apologies for posting bad data...the Helms specs sure look like that should work but I didn't catch the part about the PCM output being square-wave.
Old 02-26-2004, 09:55 AM
TECH Regular

How many people are using the autometer speedometer with an automatic? I had it on my car and ended uprunning into alot of problems, had to put a 2K ohm resister inline to the speedo. Trans wouldn't shift out of first sith out it. Just wondering if im the only one that had that problem.
Old 02-26-2004, 10:59 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Lesrace82
How many people are using the autometer speedometer with an automatic? I had it on my car and ended uprunning into alot of problems, had to put a 2K ohm resister inline to the speedo. Trans wouldn't shift out of first sith out it. Just wondering if im the only one that had that problem.
how did you have it hooked up?

I am hooking my autometer up to a 4L60E.
Old 02-27-2004, 06:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Lesrace82
I would bet that you did what I did the first time (followed Autometer's Directions ) If you just splice into the line like I mentioned I think your problem would be solved. I had a similar problem with mine in that it wouldn't let me shift into reverse, the solenoid for reverse lockout wasn't activating because of my bogus VSS signal. I bet your VSS signal to the PCM was also bogus. This would indicate to the PCM an incorrect speed and hence the tranny doesn't think it is time to shift. Just a guess as mine is a T56.

Did you ever hook up a scanner to see the vehicle speed? Mine was always zero!
Old 05-05-2008, 08:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

I am trying to install an autometer speedo now too. I want to get this right the first time so please let me know if I'm understanding this wrong. I need to connect a wire from the speedo and splice it into the VSS signal wire? In the wiring diagram I have it shows that the two wire coming out of the sensor are labled VSS high and low signals. Which one should I use? Thanks for any help you can give me.
Old 05-06-2008, 04:43 AM
Launching!

I ran both wires twisted to the Speedometer to cut down on the RFI. "High" is the signal and "Low" is the ground / shield. Just tie them in parallel with the ECM.
Old 05-06-2008, 04:57 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you're using a 99-02 LS1 pcm, hook C2, pin 50 to the signal connection of the speedometer. Ground the speedometer to the body and calibrate it per the Autometer instructions and it will work correctly.
Old 05-06-2008, 04:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm using a 3 3/8cobalt guage. Can I run that one in series or do I have to tap into the wires? I've heard to not run the 4l60e in series. Is that true?
Old 05-07-2008, 04:20 AM
Launching!

Basically need to follow the meter's instruction, but this is what I did with my Autometer........
Attached Thumbnails Autometer speedometer, One input terminal?-picture1.png  
Old 05-07-2008, 08:55 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 67ls1CamaroProject
This will absolutely not work with an Autometer Speedo. That 4k pulse per mile is a square wave and the Autometer will only work with the sine wave signal directly from the VSS. Also, do not cut the VSS signal wire and then wire the "Sig Out" from the Autometer to the PCM. This will screw up the PCM and cause a VSS error code. YOU MUST splice into the VSS and bring a wire to the Autometer and don't interput the PCM signal. I know because I wired it this way first and the Speedo did work but the vehicle speed was always zero mph causing other issues, mainly coming to a stop and nearly stalling.
No, he's right. Autometer speedos work fine with square wave. My Autometer UltraLite II works perfectly off the 4K PPM square wave coming from C220-K with a 99 Fbody PCM & harness. And by perfectly I mean that I've got over 1000 miles on it without a single problem, and I've verified my calibration against my GPS. In fact, if you read the AutoMeter instructions (http://www.autometer.com/download_instruction/1029A.pdf), you'll see this statement:

The speedometer is designed to operate with an electrical speed
sender. The speed senders signal pulse range must be between
500 and 400,000 pulses/mile. Any speed sender or electronic
module that meets the following two conditions can be used:
• Pulse range generated proportional to the vehicle speed
• Output within the voltage ranges listed below:
2.0 to 16V peak (Square Wave), 3 wire
2.0 to 120V peak to peak (Sine Wave), 2 wire

And if you look up Autometer's own 5291 & 5292 speedo senders, (http://www.autometer.com/download_instruction/0776A.pdf), you'll see that they are a 16 pulse per rev square wave.
Old 09-23-2008, 03:00 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Rodder
No, he's right. Autometer speedos work fine with square wave. My Autometer UltraLite II works perfectly off the 4K PPM square wave coming from C220-K with a 99 Fbody PCM & harness. And by perfectly I mean that I've got over 1000 miles on it without a single problem, and I've verified my calibration against my GPS. In fact, if you read the AutoMeter instructions (http://www.autometer.com/download_instruction/1029A.pdf), you'll see this statement:

The speedometer is designed to operate with an electrical speed
sender. The speed senders signal pulse range must be between
500 and 400,000 pulses/mile. Any speed sender or electronic
module that meets the following two conditions can be used:
• Pulse range generated proportional to the vehicle speed
• Output within the voltage ranges listed below:
2.0 to 16V peak (Square Wave), 3 wire
2.0 to 120V peak to peak (Sine Wave), 2 wire

And if you look up Autometer's own 5291 & 5292 speedo senders, (http://www.autometer.com/download_instruction/0776A.pdf), you'll see that they are a 16 pulse per rev square wave.

Rodder, I was going to use my C220 wire also......which spot did you hook it to? I have the Autometer instructions here, but they say to hook to the SIG terminal and then run a wire from the OUT terminal to the computer..>???
Old 09-23-2008, 07:16 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The wire from the PCM is an output. Just hook it to the SIG wire on the speedo.
Old 09-23-2008, 08:33 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by loweredd
Rodder, I was going to use my C220 wire also......which spot did you hook it to? I have the Autometer instructions here, but they say to hook to the SIG terminal and then run a wire from the OUT terminal to the computer..>???
The autometer instructions assume you are tapping into the speed sensor somewhere inbetween the trans and the PCM. You aren't doing that--you're getting a speed signal produced by the PCM itself. Just hook C220K to the SIG terminal on the speedoand it'll work .

Quick Reply: Autometer speedometer, One input terminal?