Author Topic: PS3 Airflow Mod  (Read 10436 times)

madmax

PS3 Airflow Mod
« on: August 04, 2011, 03:24:00 pm »
So i have an original 60Gb PS3 and paid top dollars for it when it came out. The older PS3s unfortunately can't keep up with todays games and have been YLODing left and right. I took apart my PS3 and actually examined the airflow. (I've reflowed it 5+ times, I am a pro at taking it apart xD). There is an absurd amount of restriction in the fat PS3s airflow. Seeing as i don't want to go buy a new PS3 (I already paid for one, why should I pay for another?). I decided to mod it myself.

Unfortunately i didn't have the right tools to do what I wanted too and I kind of failed. The mod works great but doesn't look good.

The bottom of the PS3 is where the fan gets it's air from and the space between the hardware and the case is about 1-2 CM. not a lot of room for airflow. What I decided to do was make a hole in the bottom of the case so that the PS3 can get direct airflow. on top of that, I added a fan to push more air into it. What happened is that the plastic was too brittle and not having a drill meant i had to make weak points and gradually get rid of plastic. the brittleness of the plastic made it snap under little pressure and not follow weakened points. Thankfully it wasn't too bad of a break.

I also got a fan and converted it into a usb fan. (a little wiring required). USB supplies 5v whereas a 3-4 pin connector will supply 12v so the fan runs at half efficiency. it's not a big deal as it's only there to direct air towards the main PS3 fan.

As you can see in the pictures, the case is a little broken but this works surprisingly well. The PS3 doesn't get anywhere near as hot as it used too. Hopefully it will now survive.

scott

Re: PS3 Airflow Mod
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 09:54:09 am »
Nice. That is a pretty fugly mod though, but it gets the job done. You couldn't have went with a smaller fan? Also what's the black thing coming off of the fan itself? I see the USB cable, which I am assuming is the silver wire.

I've also got an original PS3, though mine was the one released with MGS4. I've never had problems with my PS3 and air and I lay mine horizontally. I've always had issues with cracking open or modding consoles though, I doubt I'd ever attempt something like this.

Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

madmax

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 10:11:09 am »
Yeah it's pretty fugly, i did break it by accident though so I blame that for making it really ugly :P if ever i get hold of a bottom plate, I'll make it cleaner.

The black thing hanging from the fan is a speed controller. I can control how fast the exterior fan spins.

i'm not one to mod consoles but it having overheated numerous times (in an airconditioned room, no dust) I started not really caring about it. i just don't want to buy a slim, the purpose of a console has always been that you have a system that plays games hassel free. You buy it once and it's good to go. Buying a second one defeats the purpose (so does modding it but thats cheaper)

This mod allowed me to finally finish FF13 last night as well ^_^

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2011, 12:04:06 pm »
Nice!
I might have to try this. I have a 60Gb PS3 that yellow lighted on me a few months ago when I took it apart to reapply the thermal paste trying to fix it's overheating problem. I already got a 160Gb slim to replace it but if I can reflow it and get it working I might just jailbreak it and have one modded one unmodded.

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 05:18:30 pm »
My Original 60gb is still going strong... But I must admit I'm a little paranoid now.

madmax

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2011, 05:58:19 pm »
My Original 60gb is still going strong... But I must admit I'm a little paranoid now.

My friend, who bought it about 6 months after mine, his just died...~6 months after mine did