TravellerG's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

#1Place-1Photo -06 - Mysore Palace during Dasara - Night shot using Camera & Mobile - TravellerG

Oh...sorry...the Photo is missing, kindly inform me

The historical Mysore Palace (Karnataka, India) is the royal residence of the Wadiyar dynasty - one of the most famous tourist attractions in India, after the Taj Mahal, with more than 6 million tourists visiting every year. The ‘City of Palaces’, Mysore, has 7 palaces & this main palace is within the ‘Old Fort’. 

In 1896, during the Dasara festivities, the Old Palace (Wooden Palace) was fully burnt down. Maharaja Krishnaraja Wodeyar IV rebuilt the present palace with a blend of the Hindu, Mughal, Rajput, and Gothic styles.

The main Palace has three floors and has 245 Ft in length and 156 Ft in width. The domes are built in ‘Indo-Saracenic’ style with the main Dome standing on five floors & 145 feet high.

A must to visit place in India - weekends, the palace will be light - but during Dasara, not only the Palace but the whole Mysore will be decorated/colourful - see to believe it!!!

[A detailed Post will be published later]

# One needs 2 to 4 hours to visit the palace, depending on your interest. Online booking & Conter sale are alvailable for a very affordable fee.

Accessibility:

WheelChair.pngTick.pngEntry, Parking & Toilet. (they also provide Wheelchairs)

Note: Remember there are many staircases and one spiral staircase - this may be challenge.

The Photo:

Mysore Palace During DasaraMysore Palace During Dasara

A night Shot of Mysore Palace:

Although, I have used Sony RX10 M2, rest be assured that even with any decent Camera Mobile, a very close result can be achieved.

#. A must for night photography is a very “Stable Tripod” - whether you are using a camera or Mobile, the TRIPOD is a MUST.

Remember, both the cover photo and the above photo were selected out of many photos = Meaning, you will have to experiment with different settings to get the best result.

Firstly, I shall explain a typical Mirrorless/DSLR settings for such a scene.

1. A very stable tripod
  2. Switch on Self-timer (2 Sec is OK)
  3. Preferred/settings used in this shot:
    1. Selected Aperture as 5.6 as lower settings will not give this clarity; I could have gone up to f/8 with Shutter Speed (SS) up to 1 to 2 Secs. 
    2. SS here is 0.33 Sec. (Self timer 2 Sec)
    3. ISO: 400 - Usually I play around up to 800.
    4. Focal Length: 24 mm (Wide)
    5. Object at a distance of fewer than 100 feet.
    6. Camera at a height of 6 feet.
    7. Shot time: almost 7 PM.

Using a typical Mobile Phone Camera for such a scene. 

Nowadays, modern cameras have a dedicated night mode should give you the best result.

And if you go for Manual Mode, my recommendations will be:

1. Mostly for 'Aperture', we do not have any control; however, if you have a selection, then opt the second larget f.
  2. Sutter speed between 1/10 to 2 Seconds
  3. ISO: 200 to 400.
  4. Self-timer = must

Note: If you have a RAW option, then shoot in RAW & develop; in that case, look for sharp shot than a bright shot.

Factors affecting the quality of night shots:

1. The water particles, dust, pollution, etc in the atmosphere - these will reduce the focussing/sharpness.  
  2.  The ambient colour lighting - White balancing in Manual mode may some times help you to get the original scene.
  3. Rush during festivals can introduce shake while the shutter is open.

IMPORTANT: 

Do not leave your camera (unattended) on a tripod with a camera in any time (especially festivals); many of my disciples & known photographers have damaged their gear in the rush (fallen down & broken). 

Hope this will help you.

Sl. No:The TitleLinkAuthorContributor
1Mysore Zoo & Wild Life shootingHereTG 
2London Tower Bridge & Bridge CameraHereTG 
3Sand Sculpture & Shot settingsHereTG 

... More  ...for you

Oh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform me

15 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: #1Place-1Photo -06 - Mysore Palace during Dasara - Night shot using Camera & Mobile - Travel

Awesome pictures of Mysore palace.

It's really very helpful post for beginner photographers like me @TravellerG sir. Thank you so much for sharing with us. 

About me | Guiding Star 2020 | Guiding Star 2020 |  | Follow me on Instagram & Follow me on Maps |   | Happy to Help

Please use '@' before the name to tag me.

Level 9

Re: #1Place-1Photo -06 - Mysore Palace during Dasara - Night shot using Camera & Mobile - Travel

Great view of the Mysore Palace, nicely taken photo @TravellerG 

Also thank you for the helpful tips for LGs like me.

Level 8

Thanks @

Level 9

Looks gorgeous @TravellerG ! Thank you so much for sharing the photos and the tips for budding photographers. 

NitaBC
Level-9 LG
Level 10

WhatsApp beautiful pictures @TravellerG thanks a lot for sharing

MUHAMMAD USMAN Facebook
Who am I
Level 10
Level 10

You have nicely captured the spectacular show of lights at the Mysore Palace @TravellerG 

Level 8

Very helpful post. Thanks for sharing @TravellerG sir... 

With Regards from Assam, India | My Connect Posts
Level 10

Kindly guide me where the explanations are NOT CLEAR so that I can assist, you all,

Thanks for your valuable responses.

Regards, dear @NareshDarji 

Oh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform meOh...sorry... if the Photo is missing, kindly inform me

Level 10

Happy that you liked the photos & assistacne.

When time permits, kindly try some of these shots & let us discuss so that we both can learn.

Regards, dear @AbdullahAM