Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2024, 10:58   #1
BHPian

Rumour: Ford coming back as an EV-only company | Posts job opportunities

Ford India has posted hiring for new job opportunities in the EV industry for exclusive India specific EVs. They plan new R&D centre for new platforms to be built exclusively in India. If this was old news or rumours the company also had several other job listings for technical positions. Openings for Senior Engineer – PD (Body Exterior) and Manufacturing Digital Transformation Integration Architect Manager, further states that Ford’s plans to build a team for renewed operations.

Rumour: Ford coming back as an EV-only company | Posts job opportunities-ford_electrified_600x235.jpg

That confirms that Ford is back as an EV only company. So no more ICE. It can be a good plan to make India an export hub to the world because of it's proximity to the Chennai sea port. That said the company has surrendered it's EV PLI scheme initiative and should re-apply for some subsidies.

Rumour: Ford coming back as an EV-only company | Posts job opportunities-fordindiaevhiring.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartorq
The American automotive giant Ford Motor Company’s Indian subsidiary, Ford India, has recently posted a new job opening. This new job posting signals the carmaker’s shift towards an Electric Vehicle (EV) LED future in the country. This development comes as a stark contrast to Ford’s earlier announcement in 2022, stating its decision not to pursue EV plans in India. Recently, a job posting by a Ford employee has gone viral on the internet. The new posting highlights the requirement of a product manager for an EV platform for India.

Source: cartoq.com- Ford India electric vehicle future job postings
DRPSREDDY is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 14th January 2024, 14:19   #2
BHPian

Re: Rumour: Ford coming back as an EV-only company | Posts job opportunities

Lol, first they said Ford will be back with the Endy, now they say Ford will only sell EV's. Ford sold their hi-tech facility to Tata, who converted it to an EV exclusive plant. Didn't anyone from Ford think of this earlier?

Lets be a little practical now. Apart from a couple(or lets say a bunch) of enthusiasts on the forum, will people be ready to trust Ford again? Think about the poor Endeavour owners who spent so much to get one only to see the company leave and resale tank. Heck I even saw a bhpian who sold his Endy and got a T-Fort due to Ford's exit.

I feel people should take Ford's re entry news with a bucket load of salt. Ford left for their own good, and let us leave it as is.
saikishor is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 14th January 2024, 20:58   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saikishor View Post
Lol, first they said Ford will be back with the Endy, now they say Ford will only sell EV's. Ford sold their hi-tech facility to Tata, who converted it to an EV exclusive plant. Didn't anyone from Ford think of this earlier?

Lets be a little practical now. Apart from a couple(or lets say a bunch) of enthusiasts on the forum, will people be ready to trust Ford again?
Apart from initial enthusiasm from the forum and media, the Endeavour patent was found to be old, just before Ford pulled the plug on Indian operations. Then they planned to come in with EVs and applied for PLI scheme and then pulled back their application. This was all in 2021.

Now this is all very recent in 2023, that new jobs for R&D on EV platforms is issued. That means the Indian operations are imminent for exports but local sales are still in question. Let's see what Ford has in store for India.
DRPSREDDY is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th January 2024, 21:14   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRPSREDDY View Post

Now this is all very recent in 2023, that new jobs for R&D on EV platforms is issued. That means the Indian operations are imminent for exports but local sales are still in question. Let's see what Ford has in store for India.

From what I've seen with GM, this Indian operations and working in India for global products only works for a certain period of time. As per my knowledge, GM had an R&D center in Bangalore. After GM shut shop, this R&D center was operational for a few years for export market and after that god knows what happened. I guess Tata is using this R&D center now(please correct me if wrong). Even Ford will do something similar IMO. These jobs and all will be under Ford for a couple of days and then will move to some other brand.
saikishor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2024, 09:42   #5
Senior - BHPian

I think we should combine all these Ford return 'speculation' threads together. No-where in the job posting does it say 'EV-only' and hence the title is misleading. If the comeback is really in the works, it could be premium and EV !

Quote:
... Think about the poor Endeavour owners who spent so much to get one only to see the company leave and resale tank...
This could not be further away from the reality. The Endeavour or for that matter even the Ecosport have retained their value. The 3.2L actually fetches a premium if you can find someone who wants to sell.

Last edited by fiat_tarun : 15th January 2024 at 09:45.
fiat_tarun is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th January 2024, 20:00   #6
BHPian

Ford USA plants have slowed down EV production due to Union Strike pay demands. Ford was loosing money on its EV and it will do more so with hike in pay. Tesla is the only US car maker making profits on EV since they don't have the Unions and it being a EV only company that is fully vertically integrated.

I guess for Ford India sees the purchasing power increasing and Indian government bullish push for EV. They can use this facility to make RHD vehicles and if future vehicles go the way of Cybertruck Steer by wire. Then its needs no retooling of stamped parts between LHD and RHD. Since everything will be drive by wire with no physical links to throttle, brake and steering. So in theory ford can even make the next gen F150 lightening in India and export it.

Do note India wages are still cheaper then China. But they end up setting shop in China because of the supply chain.

Once India starts its lithium cell, motor and inverter manufacuring in India, we will be competitive.

Also they will be thinking if Tesla is considering setting shop here, that would have made them reconsider India.
DIY410 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2024, 20:54   #7
BHPian

Guys this is a job opening at their tech center in Chennai. Sort of like an in house outsourcing arm.

Mercedes-Benz, GM (arm now sold to TCS), Stellantis, Bosch, Continental, ZF, Hyundai-Mobis, etc. all operate or operated such centers in India.

These RD divisions have nearly nothing to do with local manufacturing, sales and after sales operations. They are usually set up as totally different limited liability private companies (cost centers) independent of their manufacturing operations and only serve as in house engineering and IT solution partners to the parent company. Primary goal is to take advantage of arbitrage/affordable labour. They can continue to exist even without any sales operations in the host country.

Sorry to play wet blanket here, but chill! This is utter misinformation.

Last edited by ashivas89 : 15th January 2024 at 21:24.
ashivas89 is online now   (18) Thanks
Old 16th January 2024, 12:24   #8
BHPian

Not necessarily. Note that the location is the Ford GTBC Chennai and not the mothballed Ford plant in Maraimalainagar. GTBC stands for Global Technology and Business Center which houses R&D, IT and other functions for Ford worldwide and not specifically for Ford India. It might be an opening for Ford worldwide
chennai-indian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2024, 13:39   #9
BHPian

This jobs seem to be for their GIC (global inhouse center or captive) that is more of a backoffice to Ford globally.

I for one, would be severely disappointed if they choose only EV! As a ford customer, I have all sorts of dreams - a fully loaded diesel AT Ecosport to start with! But then, if wishes were horses!
Old 16th January 2024, 23:00   #10

In a recent feedback call recieved from ford after periodic service of my ecosport, the customer support agent asked me based on my experience how likely it is that I would recommend a Ford car to others, to which I asked him his could I recommend ford with no products for sale as the company has exited to which he said Ford is gonna start selling electric vehicles in the next 18 months. Don't know how true it is , I also think it's very optimistic to think that they can modify their assembly line , set up supply chain, build, test and sell vehicles within 18 months
dimburai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th January 2024, 23:53   #11
BHPian

I still stick to what I originally said on the other thread regarding Ford's rumoured re-entry here: Don't set expectations. Unless Ford itself says something about this development, I refuse to believe Ford is making a comeback, even if I want to.

Quote:
I feel people should take Ford's re entry news with a bucket load of salt.
Indeed. Seems like the salt industry is going to see a growth for a while now
CentreOfGravity is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2024, 11:07   #12
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

There have been many rumors going around lately. Personally, I don't think they would come back as it is not that easy to leave and come back into a country like India.

Many times, I have heard from Ford officials that they will never leave India, but opposite happened. So, if it comes or goes, good for some people bad for some people.

I hope some strong management decisions are made at their level and come up with a good and logical solution for Indian market and Ford India fans.
Old 19th January 2024, 16:17   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Will people be ready to trust Ford again?
In my opinion, Yes, people will trust Ford. Because as an existing owner, I can say that trust was never broken. Ford indeed stopped selling its cars, but they never stopped supporting existing ones. Almost all of the Ford-authorized service centers in Chandigarh and HP still exist. I haven’t seen any ASC of Chevrolet or Fiat after their exit from India, but Ford still stands. They did a fantastic job, keeping the spares available and that too at reasonable prices. As far as their ASS is concerned, Ford never left.
itsbaman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th January 2024, 19:07   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimburai View Post
I recommend ford with no products for sale as the company has exited to which he said Ford is gonna start selling electric vehicles in the next 18 months. Don't know how true it is , I also think it's very optimistic to think that they can modify their assembly line , set up supply chain, build, test and sell vehicles within 18 months
I think it is not a tough job to start assembling a new car in 18 months. Initially they can import motor and battery pack and localise the rest in a 12 months period. In the next 12 months they can find companies like Tata Autocomp, Minda, Amaraja or Motherson to assemble engines and batteries for them. It is not a task that's impossible.
Old 19th January 2024, 20:31   #15
BHPian

Quote:

Lets be a little practical now. Apart from a couple(or lets say a bunch) of enthusiasts on the forum, will people be ready to trust Ford again? Think about the poor Endeavour owners who spent so much to get one only to see the company leave and resale tank. Heck I even saw a bhpian who sold his Endy and got a T-Fort due to Ford's exit.

I feel people should take Ford's re entry news with a bucket load of salt. Ford left for their own good, and let us leave it as is.
It could be many factors. The Chennai plant was being eyed by JSW who in turn was having a strategic partnership with SAIC (MG motors). The Americans would not like that happening probably.

Anyways, we are happy as long as ford is back.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks