Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Speedometer Gauge Wiring Picture

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2005, 10:51 PM
redidrum
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Speedometer Gauge Wiring Picture

I installed the replacement white face gauge kit and I think I crossed a few wires. Couldn't read the marks I made on the side of the gauge due to rubbing off some of them while removing the Bezels. The Bezels were not easy. They were extremely tight. The job looks great.

Does anyone have a diagram of all of the wires to the Speedometer ?

Thank You,

Ron

Last edited by redidrum; 04-12-2005 at 04:00 PM.
Old 04-11-2005, 02:18 PM
Cesar Munoz
Intermediate

Redidrum,
Let me know if you still are in need, I have the Bentley manual at home. Which gauge are you having problems with?

Cesar Munoz
Old 04-12-2005, 12:30 AM
Dan Cobb
The Ancient One
Rennlist Lifetime Member

I just had qall of mine out last week and the markings are still quite clear if your gauges are identical to an 84.
Old 04-12-2005, 07:44 AM
redidrum
Pro

Cesar and Dan,

I just need help Identifying the Speedometer and Odometer wiring in the back. I got 4 out of 5 Gauges working. There appears to be one brown ground wire that was not connected at all. It appeared to be connected to another brown wire going towards the tach. It looked like it had a prong broken off inside it and I have one extra plug on the Speedometer that is not connected to anything.

The Bezel removal was a pain in the ars, but, the job looks great now. Just missing power to speedo. I was able to remove the tach. Some guys were saying that it wouldn't come out without removing steering wheel.

My Cruise Control was not working before. I have a feeling that the PO may have miswired some stuff. I'm still a newbe. Had this 911 for 6 months.

There was a note in the directions about making sure that you put the needle in the exact position that it was in. I dropped it a little below zero since my speedo runs 5 to 10 MPH faster than normal. Could that be the problem ???

Please Help!,

Thanks,

Ron

Last edited by redidrum; 04-12-2005 at 03:47 PM.
Old 04-12-2005, 04:01 PM
redidrum
Pro

Does anyone have a picture ???
Old 04-13-2005, 12:45 AM
Dan Cobb
The Ancient One
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Sorry, no picture until this weekend when I take mine back out to redo the vinyl around the cluster.
Sounds like the ground has definitely broken apart. According to my bentley manual, there are 3 brown ground connections on the back of the speedo; all are connected together and 1 then goes to the speed transmitter (cruise control unit?) the other goes to the Tach. The ground wire comes from chassis ground to the clock first, then to the speedo and the others.
I hope this is even slightly helpful.
+++
Old 04-13-2005, 10:48 AM
redidrum
Pro

Dan,

I'll be waiting with baited breath for a picture or drawing. I won't have time to dive in until sunday anyways. Just ordered entire set of new bulbs from Pelican. Their ordering system is too lengthy. They don't recognize all of my info. from previous orders and I was on hold for a while to clarify my credit card code on the back. Too much work for bulbs!!!!

The dash is much brighter now with half my bulbs out.

Thanks Dan,

Ron
Old 04-13-2005, 07:38 PM
DGaunt
Addict
Rennlist Member

I will TRY to take a pic of my '76 speedo this Friday, if I can. Happen to have my son's digital camera home right now.
Old 04-13-2005, 08:46 PM
redidrum
Pro

Dave,

That sounds great. Between you and Dan I should be able to figure out what goes where. Please write down the order of wires left to right and which ones are stacked. Lost my cruise control too. Has one mystery brown wire with broken off prong from P.O.. Never has worked and I suspect crossed wires from before I removed gauge. Had speedo. and odo, just no cruise. Diving in Sunday.

Thanks,

Ron
Old 04-16-2005, 03:33 PM
Dan Cobb
The Ancient One
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Here we go. No picture as there are so many wires, it would be impossible to differentiate what goes where. My description should provide enough info IF your speedo is the same as my 84.

Looking at the back of the guage, starting at 6:00 position:
-Illumination -- black wire w/ blue stripe

12:00 position:
-illumination -- white wire w/ green stripe

12:05 position:
- illumination -- black wire w/ blue stripe
I can only assume it doesn't matter which set with this combination goes in which position.

Wiring connected to terminal block on right side.
1:00 position:
- Terminal marked "+" -- red wire w/ black stripe
- Terminal marked "2" -- BLANK, NO CONNECTOR BLADE
- Terminal marked "A" -- White wire w/ red stripe AND black wire w/ brown stripe
- Terminal marked "31b" -- Brown wire w/ red stripe AND brown wire w/ red stripe
One of these comes from the main loom, the other is loose and goes behind the tach towards other guages. Exact connection not known at this time.
- Terminal marked "-"
-- brown #1 - comes from loom including blk/brn wire that connects to position "A".
-- brown #2 - double wire (stacked in connector) 1 comes from the clock, the other comes from tachometer.
-- brown wire w/ red stripe - Exits loom containing white/red wire that connects to position "A"
NOTE: There are 2 brown/red wires in this loom. The other wire connects to position "31b".

This should be as clear as mud now Ron.
I hope it is even slightly helpful.
+++
Old 04-16-2005, 03:51 PM
DGaunt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sorry, things cam up and I didn;t get to the picture as promised. I have stuff going on both today and Sunday. I will try again late sunday or (more likely) Monday. Sorry, do-do happens.

Mea culpa
Old 04-16-2005, 04:20 PM
J. Brinkley
Addict
Rennlist Member

this is an old pic and not my car, but i found five other ones also. if you need more let me know
Old 04-16-2005, 08:35 PM
Dan Cobb
The Ancient One
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Here's a pic of my 84 speedo, but with so many wires, it's near impossible to tell what goes where; hence my previous post. It is almost upside down in this view.
Attached Images  
Old 04-19-2005, 10:33 AM
redidrum
Pro

Dan,

We have power!!!! Thank you so much for the help. The needle is acting a little erratic, but, I know that I need to reset it to zero. Dropped a hair below. Still playing with it. I'm sending it in for calibration. Marked wires well on gauge and on a seperate piece of paper.
Changed all bulbs and I have great light now.

Thank You,

Ron
Old 04-19-2005, 11:50 AM
Dan Cobb
The Ancient One
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Excellent Ron, glad I could help out.
+++

Quick Reply: Speedometer Gauge Wiring Picture