Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F#@king harley davidson!

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2023, 09:17 PM
dfixit1
Tourer
Received 192 Likes on 122 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Bluesrider.df
Or a boat, as pictured above

The following users liked this post:
tngarren (05-21-2023)
Old 05-20-2023, 09:26 PM
dfixit1
Tourer
Cool

Originally Posted by Y2K
New build coming soon,ported Super Cobra Jet heads big cam etc.
Here's the intake setup.
How cool is that! Only thing missing is this pic is the fire hose you'll use as a fuel line. When I lived in Fl. in the early 80's my buddy had a Chris Craft 210 Scoriopn, had a small cuddy cabin and In/Out 351 Cleveland. Nothing fancy, tons of fun and tons of gas, hauling in and out washing and cleaning etc. etc. etc. Strangely enough, starting to sound a lot like a Harley.

The following 2 users liked this post by dfixit1:
Oko (05-21-2023), Y2K (05-21-2023)
Old 05-20-2023, 09:27 PM
dfixit1
Tourer

Originally Posted by dfixit1
How cool is that! Only thing missing is this pic is the fire hose you'll use as a fuel line. When I lived in Fl. in the early 80's my buddy had a Chris Craft 210 Scoriopn, had a small cuddy cabin and In/Out 351 Cleveland. Nothing fancy, tons of fun and tons of gas, hauling in and out washing and cleaning etc. etc. etc. Strangely enough, starting to sound a lot like a Harley.
Offenhouser with 2 650 Holleys?

Old 05-20-2023, 09:40 PM
Weeboy1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 805 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron750
That’s why I decided to keep my 2012 FLHTK and go back to paper maps and post it notes for navigation. Stress free.
lol are those hwy #s ? Lol that’s me!! Love it! Get out, get lost, see new sights!!

Old 05-20-2023, 09:54 PM
lefty33
Road Warrior
Received 622 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by 686 Shooter
WARNING - old guy rant rant below.

I know that when you buy a Harley Davidson not only are you going to spend a the price of a small house to get the bike, you're going to have to spend a ton of cash to get it the way you like it too. And I'm okay with that, Whether it's a bike or a truck, I do it. I spend some cash so I have what I want. But does Harley take it to the extreme? Hell yes they do. Here is my story.

The wife and I aren't getting any younger. We're kinda starting to like comfort over style, within reason of course. So last summer we bought a couple of Simpson Mod Bandit modular helmets for longer trips. They look good, and as a bonus we have to wash a lot less grass hopper innards off our faces when we get to our destination. We also decided that we would get a set of Cardo communicators so we can listen to tunes, chat, and answer calls from the grandkids while on the highway. And this is where my bitching begins.

Pairing the Cardo to your phone is no problem at all. But if you want to be able to link it to you're bike, you have to spend $500 (Canadian dollars) to get a "Headset Interface Module" from Harley. And is this the end of the kick in the nuts? Oh hell no! Then you have to pay your friendly neighborhood Harley dealer to flash your bike so the module works.

Really? According to Harley, my 2021 Street Glide is considered a touring bike. Does someone at the Harley Davidon ivory tower really think that people are not going to want to link their headsets to their "touring bike"? It's got navigation for Christ's sake, and the navigation tells you the turns etc. audibly. If I would have bought a Gold Wing (gag, sorry, I just threw up in my mouth a little) I wouldn't have to spend extra for that feature. Come on Harley, throw us a fricken bone here or there once in a while.

Thanks for listening, I feel better now. Whats that? Have I learned anything? Am I going to but another Harley Davidson next time I'm shopping for a bike? Hell yes I am! I may complain a lot, but that's just because I'm old and crotchety. I love my Harley Davidsons and will until they put me in the ground. Along with my motorcycle of course.
We're running Cardo Pactalk Blacks...work very well. I see no need for the WHIM as I can do probably 90% of what the WHIM would do. And if I went with a WHIM, we'd loose stereo sound...no thanks.

Originally Posted by Weeboy1
lol are those hwy #s ? Lol that’s me!! Love it! Get out, get lost, see new sights!!
Sharpie on painters tape, taped to the top of the tank worked for me on my previous bike

Old 05-21-2023, 01:28 AM
UrbanRunner
Road Master

Received 367 Likes on 207 Posts

LOL, glad everyone has found a way to make their HD into the ride that works for them. Me too!
Could HD include what each of us might like, sure, but **** it, it is what it is.

My FLHTP originally came w/o a radio or speakers but I fixed that (Sony AX7000). Very much agree that customizing our rides is much of the fun!
For us, I have purchased a SENA specifically designed for my wife's Shoei J-Cruise II helmet. She actually never listens to music or makes calls with it but does chat away with another SENA-equipped wife during our rides.
If she needs to talk to me she can tap me on the shoulder, open her face shield, and say what she needs to say. Other than that I'm enjoying the ride, listening to the music through my speakers, Pandora, and Android Auto, and remaining alert for whatever surprise awaits us on the road ahead.
If I need a map I can look at Google Maps, again through Android Auto. When I need notes for my ride I use the Evernote app on my phone for this (the nice thing about this app is that I can make notes while planning the ride on my computer and they sync with the phone). As Road Captain, I plan and lead our rides. I'm getting older but my memory is still pretty sharp so I typically plan each ride, review it closely on Google Maps and Street View, and then commit it to memory.
If someone needs to contact me during a ride they can text me or less effectively leave a voicemail. I'm riding, enjoying my tunes, and immersed in some great wind therapy, I'm not available for instant communication (unless of course, you tap me on the shoulder, then yes, what do you want?).
This works for me, your mileage may vary. To each his own. It's all good!

Last edited by UrbanRunner; 05-21-2023 at 01:33 AM.
dfixit1 (05-23-2023)
Old 05-21-2023, 07:06 AM
texasdw
Supporter
Received 76 Likes on 42 Posts

I just traded two bikes for a '23 ultra limited. I was told, the difference will be $XX. When I sat down to write the check, I couldn't believe the actual amount they wanted (LOL, "out the door"). I wrote the check, of course. As we all have in some way or another.

I agree with OP, you want a touring bike? Here ya go. Oh, wait, you want tires on that? That's an extra XX. Oh, you want a windshield too? Oh, let's not forget ABS....oh, you want a shift lever so you can actually scroll through the gears as you're riding?

Just price the bike for what it is for cryin' out loud. I don't think any of us would complain if we walked in and saw a price tag that actually reflected the price!

Old 05-21-2023, 09:04 AM
decencyxdefied
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 724 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by rick601
Wow- that's a long time! 52 years before the battle of Hastings! and 201 before the Magna Carta!!
Lmao love it

Old 05-21-2023, 09:23 AM
NoRegerts
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,888 Likes on 4,674 Posts

When I buy a Harley, I go into it with the mindset it's a great canvas for me to build on.

But I understand the frustration. For what I paid for my new ST i could have gotten a Gold Wing with every feature I didn't know I always wanted.

I build a relationship with the machine and it helps me make memories. Sometimes on the road, sometimes in the shop. Either way, the experience is what I'm after.

And unless my job requires it, which it does on occasion, my phone is not working when I'm on the bike.

chopr147 (05-21-2023)
Old 05-21-2023, 09:43 AM
fonso003
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I did the WHIM on my road glide after running the CarPlay jumper for a while. I also got the HD Sena. Was that the end of that journey? No lol i had to buy the high def speakers for the Sena for it to not sound like poop.

i will add tho that even other brands, while they might come with better components that Harley does (like suspension) they all still skimp for cost savings.

for example. I have a Ducati panigale v4 and i still had to put $2500 worth of suspension upgrades on it. Consumer grade suspension is always lacking no matter what you buy. Yes even your precious Indians have sub par suspension. For some people it works and for some people it doesn’t

if you belong to any other motorcycle forums you’ll see the same rants about having to dump money into X brand bike because the factory equipment sucks. It’s not specific to Harley by a long shot.

lefty33 (05-21-2023)

Quick Reply: F#@king harley davidson!