Search
Like Tree423Likes

Tamiya TRF420 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2022, 07:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Raman
Same with my XR, it can hold it’s own against any Mugen, Xray.. that’s why I never opted for the 420. The 421 will take the TA08 style shape in arms to next level. We will probably see it this December.

In the mean time, I’m enjoying everyone buying the X4, bending bulkheads, breaking expensive parts and forking out $$$$ for replacements.

No thanks! I’ll keep driving my 6 year old TRF!
Well said, Raman, well said.

Old 01-29-2022, 08:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

I wonder how many people will drop $650-$750 on a new - fill in the blank - new car to be maybe, MAYBE, be a tenth or two quicker than their previous fastest lap... ???
This is a hobby, for 99.2% of us, it's a freakin' hobby, and if I wanna buy a car and build it for a shelf in a room, or leave it in the damn box who cares. You?? Really. REALLY?!?

Hagberg did a comparison just a little while back to a T1 - yes, an original T-freakin'-1, to the brand new X4.

just search X4 vs T1 on YT...

And he, HIM, someone who I imagine is a bit better driver than any of us, was just a couple of tenths faster with the new car. Like 2 tenths. Seriously, get off the Tamiya hate train. If people like Tamiya, why do you care?? Serious question, why are you in here bashing on a car that is "3 year old" design - which isn't even out yet... what motivates you people to come in here?

Anyway, not trying to start anything... just don't know what motivates people, who don't even like "x-y-x", to come in a thread and be so negative.
Again, looking seriously at the MTC2 (or X4 - but have read about the weak points...), but am legitimately looking forward to Kentech's reviews on the new TRF piece of garbage (as some have voiced their opinions already)... car. /rant.
Raman, V8 Rumble, zuqbu and 1 others like this.
Old 01-30-2022, 01:42 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by aracefan
I wonder how many people will drop $650-$750 on a new - fill in the blank - new car to be maybe, MAYBE, be a tenth or two quicker than their previous fastest lap... ???
This is a hobby, for 99.2% of us, it's a freakin' hobby, and if I wanna buy a car and build it for a shelf in a room, or leave it in the damn box who cares. You?? Really. REALLY?!?

Hagberg did a comparison just a little while back to a T1 - yes, an original T-freakin'-1, to the brand new X4.

And he, HIM, someone who I imagine is a bit better driver than any of us, was just a couple of tenths faster with the new car. Like 2 tenths. Seriously, get off the Tamiya hate train. If people like Tamiya, why do you care?? Serious question, why are you in here bashing on a car that is "3 year old" design - which isn't even out yet... what motivates you people to come in here?

Anyway, not trying to start anything... just don't know what motivates people, who don't even like "x-y-x", to come in a thread and be so negative.
Again, looking seriously at the MTC2 (or X4 - but have read about the weak points...), but am legitimately looking forward to Kentech's reviews on the new TRF piece of garbage (as some have voiced their opinions already)... car. /rant.
If he would have been able to run the same body shell on the T1 (the damper bridges are too high to fit current low profile TC bodies) the difference might have been even smaller …

While car design certainly has changed in the last 20 years, most of it comes down to the cars being easier to drive and set up – in terms of speed the three biggest factors have been electronics, tires and bodies. But nobody argues about a body shell, that's something you can quickly slap on your car. When it comes down to a 500 – 800 dollar purchase decision people will naturally have stronger opinions.

I have chosen a TRF420 because spares are easily available to me and comparatively cheap – and a 420X (hopefully) means that this will continue for a while. I am curious how many new parts there will be and if Tamiya will offer an upgrade kit. Didn't they sell one to convert a 419 to a 419x? Or am I imagining things?
Raman, aracefan and h2e like this.
Old 01-30-2022, 01:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Some screenshots from Tamiya presentation here:
https://kentech.wordpress.com/2022/0...ails-revealed/

Raman and zuqbu like this.
Old 01-30-2022, 02:14 AM
Tech Adept

You guys got real worked up for 1 dude.

Regardless, Tamiya does what Tamiya does and we love them for it. Don't need all the latest buzzwords in their new car.
Old 01-30-2022, 04:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Wow, I didn't know Tamiya fans were that touchy. I didn't see any post here that I would consider "hate".
STLNLST and thirtydaZe like this.
Old 01-30-2022, 07:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Looks good. Transmission layout same as Infinity which I believe is the right way (compact mass) yet longer rear belt vs mid motor with esc hanging at the back. I would pick this over an X4.
Old 01-30-2022, 01:16 PM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Honestly, I have found my TRF cars to be less durable than my X4, lol. C-hubs anyone??

Agreed with sosidge that the only people who will buy this new car are true Tamiya die-hards. Nonetheless I wish this car does well.
Old 01-30-2022, 01:33 PM
Tech Elite

Maybe not quite the only ones, but the (vast) majority, yes. Tamiya will always have a place in my heart, after all, their cars brought me into this hobby as a teenager. But for (open class) racing, I have not even considered the big "T" any more for some time. But that's a personal choice, I'm not hating the company or the car, and I am sure that in the right hands, it will be a fast racing car, and many people could whoop my behind with this, regardless of what I'd be driving.
Old 01-30-2022, 09:41 PM
Regional Moderator

Originally Posted by Dan
Honestly, I have found my TRF cars to be less durable than my X4, lol. C-hubs anyone??
I never broken any arms or hubs on my 420. Really depends on the track I guess. Driving on carpet with boards would def be more susceptible to breakage
Old 01-30-2022, 09:46 PM
h2e
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dan
The Chub story is a thing of the past for TRFs. I am regularly crashtesting the TRF420 suspension and it holds up really well against wooden boards.
NutDriver and V8 Rumble like this.
Old 01-31-2022, 07:33 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by aracefan

A very good point, which I constantly am observing! As our local club "taxi" car I have prepared an old TRF417 upgraded with the V7 Smokem Conversion Kit, so have a bit more recent flex characteristic. With this mod the car is about 0,3sec (at lap times of 9sec) slower on my local home track compared to a TRF420 from a friend. The setups of both cars were at approx. 90%... so pretty nice to drive and also relatively quick.
But in terms of reliability and durability the TRF420 has made a big step forward. The main reason for Tamiya to bring an 420X is, that no more 420 were available (a few are still available in some shops ;-)
So Tamiya needed to "do" something, what they did in a brilliant way in my opinion.
NutDriver likes this.
Old 01-31-2022, 10:28 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dan

Agreed with sosidge that the only people who will buy this new car are true Tamiya die-hards. Nonetheless I wish this car does well.
Lol.. I’ll give you that, the 418 C hubs were made out of peanut brittle.. 420 however are rock solid.

Ive seen quite a few T4s break quite a few C hubs.

As for the X4..what’s the cost ratio of of c hubs to new bulkheads.. 🤣
Old 01-31-2022, 10:32 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DirkW
Wow, I didn't know Tamiya fans were that touchy. I didn't see any post here that I would consider "hate".
You clearly haven’t been reading many Tamiya threads. Have a 300 page read here and get back to me 😂🤣😂🤣

Tamiya TRF419
Old 01-31-2022, 10:39 AM
Tech Elite

I said here, meaning this very thread and about the newly announced car.
Raman likes this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.